Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Being taken advantage of?

So one of the jobs I'm supposed to be working in the fall finally got their paperwork together for me to fill out. They decided, however, that I'll be working as an independent contractor, rather than as an employee. My first reaction was that it was fine. But then I got home and researched what that meant. It looks like it means that all the stuff like taxes that they would normally help with is on my head. And my job does NOT fit the criteria for being an independent contractor. Plus, why would a school want to have their students alone with someone they aren't responsible for?

It's really discouraging for them to treat me like this, and I'm not sure what to do. I could really use this job. I emailed them asking why they thought my job fell under being and independent contractor, but I haven't gotten an answer yet. This is soo frustrating. I really want to take the job--it's exactly what I've been training to do, and it would be a really exciting challenge. But I would like to be treated fairly. I really wish I knew more about employment law, and what to do here.

No comments:

Post a Comment